Business Law: An Overview
Wilson & Haubert, PLLC helps small business owners and startups with forming their companies. We serve as outside general counsel so you can focus on successfully running your business. We also assist in buying and selling businesses. We develop an extensive knowledge of your businesses and legal needs to become an integral part of your team.
Starting a Business
We help our clients protect their assets and plan for the tax consequences of owning a business. There are four broad categories of legal need that startups will typically encounter in the early stages:
- Choice of entity determinations;
- Business entity formations, including limited liability companies (LLCs), S corporations, and C corporations;
- Partnership formation (including LLP);
- Capital structure evaluations;
- Governance model structuring;
- Stock purchase agreements; and
- Shareholder agreements.
In addition, we offer a number of post-formation services including, but not limited to:
- Shareholder or member meeting preparation and assistance;
- Complying with the formalities of their chosen legal entity; and
- Being the registered agent for service.
Buying or Selling Businesses
- Assistance with joint-ventures, strategic alliances, mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations, split-ups, spin-offs and other major corporate transactions;
- Buy-sell agreements;
- Advising on the structure of the transaction;
- Negotiation of terms and drafting of the agreement;
- Advising buyers on conducting legal due diligence; and
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating the broad documentation involved in a business transaction, e.g. as asset purchase agreements, stock purchase agreements and security agreement
Preparation and Review of Business Contracts
- Service contracts;
- Property agreements;
- Lease agreements; and
- Releases and waivers.