What is a Guardianship?

When one is given guardianship, a court grants a person temporary or permanent custody over a minor or otherwise incapacitated individual. A “guardian” is a person (or persons) who is appointed by the court to have the care and custody of the person, or estate, or both, of an “incapacitated” person.  Click here to learn about the differences between “custody” and guardianship.

What are some common reasons for Guardianship?

  • An adult who is impaired by reason of a disability, such as a mental illness, mental deficiency, or physical illness to the extent that he or she lacks sufficient understanding, or capacity to make or communicate decisions, to meet the essential requirements for his or her health, safety, or to manage his or her estate;
  • A minor whose parent(s) are impaired by reason of a disability, such as a mental illness, mental deficiency, or physical illness;
  • A minor whose parent(s) are incarcerated;
  • A minor whose parent(s) have passed away;
  • A minor whose parent(s) have abandoned him or her;
  • A minor whose parent(s) fail to properly care for the him or her;
  • A minor whose parent(s) are addicted, or who are chronically under the influence, of alcohol, drugs, or (misused) prescriptions medications; or
  • A minor when his or her parents consent to the guardianship.

Who can be a Guardian in Arkansas?

Guardians are frequently related to the child, or incapacitated adult; however, a biological relationship is not a legal requirement.

In order to be a guardian in Arkansas, you must: (1) be a resident of the state of Arkansas; (2) be eighteen years of age; (3) be of sound mind; and (4) not be a convicted or unpardoned felon. A non-resident can be appointed as the guardian over an Arkansas resident but must be able to post bond.

Guardianship can be an important and powerful tool for making sure your loved ones are properly cared for.

As a family law firm in North Little Rock, we’ve got you covered!

Guardianship of a Minor Blog

Free Divorce for Valentine’s Day

Hey! It may seem a little unusual, this Valentine’s Day, we’re giving away a free uncontested divorce. No need to worry about messy paperwork or court appearances – we’ll take care of everything for you. So why wait?

Feb 1 2022


What about custody during the virus?

Arkansas Child Custody During The Coronavirus  Many parents are asking questions about child visitation schedules and the Coronavirus. Below are common questions and basic guidelines. Overall, it is best to follow the court order. Remember that the judge’s duty is to consider what is in the best interest of the child (link to article) and Arkansas law wants…

Jun 22 2020


Can I get primary custody if my child wants to live with me?

Can I get primary custody if my child wants to live with me? My child says he/she wants to live with me, will the Judge take that into consideration in determining which parent is awarded primary custody of our child?  Attorneys are often asked at what age can the minor child make their own decision about…

Feb 27 2020


Getting a Court Date over the Holidays

We all know that holidays are a busy time for almost everyone. Gift stores, shopping malls, what have you are way busier and even open longer. Supermarkets are packed with people buying a ton of groceries for big family gatherings. Airports are at their peak season and the interstate highway system is congested with weary…

Dec 16 2019